Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Drunk

It rained today, quite unexpectedly. It rained like it hadn't rained in the monsoons. The clouds, mindful of their earlier negligence, made up for it in October by storming noisily all afternoon. They conspired with the early winter to make the air cold and clear.

Earlier in the day, I had decided to walk to the university. It takes just over 20 minutes on foot, and this was something I'd resolved to do a long time back. The recent rant on 'how we use (or don't) our bodies' should have given an indication that I was going to try something funny pretty soon. :) But I was glad I picked today. You almost feel sorry for all the people stuck at the traffic signals while you coolly cross the road, an ipod plugged in your ears. You feel so far above the homogeneous crowd, venting out their frustration on each other, honking like madmen. And believe me on this, but this is a great, great way to fight off the waves of sleep which otherwise inundate you class after class.
And walking back was even better. I was ill-equipped to handle the sudden afternoon rain, and was trying to outrun a slight drizzle. Without an umbrella, I faced the possibility of abandoning my ambitious plan on day one. But, the slight chill, the occasional drops on my head, and the wonderful green jumble that is the university campus made me feel that I was walking in a hill- station. Delicious! :)

Later in the day, I stepped out again. The heavy downpour had darkened the lane. And I got drunk. You can get drunk on the way your nose gets cold. You can get drunk on the puddle half the size of the road. :) You can get drunk on how warm your sweatshirt makes you feel. You can get drunk when you walk that fast.

P.S. Sweet boy asks me if I would like to catch a movie with him. It's so easy to refuse sweet boys, eh? Just say you've watched the movie already. Such a kind way of shutting the door. He'll never know and you won't feel like a bitch.

6 comments:

Sush said...

Happy Happy post! :)
... and 'sweet boy', *cough cough*!

Sush said...

and .... "he'll never know" .. he'll know when he gets back to you after seeing the movie! :P

Aquila said...

I'll make sure to watch it before that. :P And in this instance, I wasn't lying. Hehe

Achal said...

not if the sweet boy is me, i would have probably seen the movie before already. but then i aint a sweet boy anyway.

Anonymous said...

a kind way? really? seems to me like its just a way thats just easier and more pleasant for you. sure, its probably what anyone would do to get out of such a situation, but to believe that you are doing him a kindness? thats laboring under a delusion.

Aquila said...

@Achal: And the self-awakening happens. :P

@ Anon: Isn't this much kinder than a direct refusal? I somehow can never get a: 'Dude. Get real, and get lost' out of me.