Tuesday, June 30, 2009

For the Writer

We write of things that matter,
with words that must be said.
We write of rain and laughter,
of people and places - now long dead.

A few write as those afflicted,
with the strange matters of the heart.
The wrongs to which our brothers are subjected,
wake the rest with a start.

We write with grief and passion,
as we struggle to give thoughts form;
And we hope with wild abandon,
that our voices carry through the storm.

So often the words futile,
lose a battle bitter.
So often the words senile,
let the playful thoughts skitter.

And yet we spend hours trying,
to build a fragile castle of cards.
And we chase the thoughts fleeting,
when they whisper of the voices in our hearts.


P.S. A thousand thanks to Simon and Garfunkel for giving me the first two lines:
"We speak of things that matter,
with words that must be said." :)

8 comments:

Meghana Naidu said...

'for the writer'
that was a good read :)

it brings to mind this quote from Alexander Pope
"While pensive poets painful vigils keep - Sleepless themselves to give their readers sleep."

AnoNick said...

A wonderful poem on writing. It *can* sound better, with metre, but the emotion is already there. :)

Anisha Zaveri said...

Hiya.

I'm not even anywhere close to being an authority on poetry, but here is my feeling: i didn't like the first two stanzas. They seemed cliched. Te third is where it got better. The final two were brilliant!

Aquila said...

Thanks for all your inputs. :) The Alexander Pope quote was so accurate! Reminds me of this poem by Yeats. Will hunt it down and put it up here sometime. The metre was killing me, but I've still not reached the place where I can balance both rhyme and metre. :)

Spica said...

I like it! *nods*

Unknown said...

I notice that your poetry is becoming better every time. For a moment there I wondered if you were quoting Yeats or someone else. :)

Arulz said...

Loved the last stanza... great writing!

Aquila said...

@Spica: Nice to know. :) Will call you when I get back home.
@Pavan: Constructive criticism over underserved praise please. :)
@ Arul: Thanks!