So Sue had one of his brainwaves. We've to each send the other one poem everyday. As you can imagine, it's well nigh impossible to maintain that frequency. But we still send the other a verse when we remember. Neither of us reads much poetry: he's currently obsessed with Vikram Seth, and I'm reading a compilation by Yeats. So you can imagine how the verse dialogue goes. Back and forth between the 21st and the 19th centuries. A dialogue across time. But it's funny how the themes are so similar. Anyway, since I haven't written anything original in the last one month, I'm posting this dialogue. My end of it in anycase. I think a lot of us will identify with these words, written more that a century ago.
Never give all the Heart
- W.B. Yeats
Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.
3 comments:
Nice poem. :)
Beaky! I think the agreement was to send atmost one poem a day - to allow the other time to digest it and to prevent one from sending too many poems in a single excited day. :)
I like Yeats. Send more.
Yes, Yeats is very nice! I've to read the poem a couple of times before it makes complete sense though. :)
Post a Comment