Friday, October 12, 2007

First Loves

Where do our first loves come from? Things which we wanted to do, which we enjoyed, which we dreamt of doing, of being, since forever? If you start thinking like Darwin, it seems so incredible that our genes decide whether we fall asleep in the maths class or the english one, whether we can't live without music, or dance, or poetry, or friends. What are these special things which give us that special joy throughout our life and which we can't control? Are we just born knowing what we can't stand and what we can't live without?

And sometimes these loves are so trivial, we don't even realise their absence. But we know what we are smiling about when they're there. I started dancing again after five years: it's something I remember having wanted to do since way back. And the funny thing is, even though I could never learn it at a stretch, I kept trying and I never forgot about it. And now, when I'm in class with all these girls, feeling my body moving with the rhythm, almost without my needing to control it, I feel that special happiness, and that sense of being complete. Don't get me wrong; I'm fulfilled and blah with trying to be a physicist and with my friends, it's just that there are these things which give you a high which nothing else can. And I think, that each of us has our own unique cocktail, and it's very very important that we know what to order :) As Kahlil Gibrain put it: "It is in the dew of little things that the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

2 comments:

Tejas Kulkarni said...

Leaning to talk in symbols is an art, Knowing to use metaphors is gr8.
If u are talking about getting high, then the holi incident deserves a page! :D :D :D

Sudeep said...

I don't know if genes determine such specific traits as you describe; a lot is cultivated, I think. But surely, they determine quite a lot of you, mainly the instincts. It was quite an experience for me to have realised this!