Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it is open"

The way you perceive yourself can be so debilitating sometimes. Because the moment you start organizing your soul in boxes, a lot of boxes will be left empty. And that is the problem: the boxes might not really be empty, but the fact that you think they are is sufficient to empty them. I'm not a proponent of the "you-can-be-whatever-you-want" creed: each of us has our own limitations and it's important to acknowledge them. But who am I to weigh my own soul? I have neither a balance, nor any standardized weight.

In general, we respond to empty boxes in two ways: if we want to fill a box really, really badly we just do it! But very often, we accept our conclusions about self too easily. And so we voluntarily handcuff ourselves. My feet are tapping to the music, but I'm a bad dancer. I'm humming along with the music, but I don't sing well. Hey, I think I can have a go at that problem, but nah.. I was never good at stuff like that. I'd like to take up this project, but I've never been much of a worker.

Why do we do this? Are the boxes really necessary? Isn't it easier to just be?

"But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure;
And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line.
For self is a sea boundless and measureless."

'... Say not,"I have found the path of my soul."
Say rather,"I have met the soul walking upon my path." '

------ Gibran

No comments: