Sunday, September 13, 2009

Perhaps

I walked in silence,
Though not in peace.
Past the stairs where you first
Held her, your heart-beat irregular,
Without the control I always knew.

I looked with vacant eyes,
At the angular archway,
Where you must have exchanged
Breathless laughter, your eyes lit
By a flame I never saw.

I listened to the whispering
Memories, as I trod on your space.
I knew so well, I intruded
On something sacred, something
Not intended for me.

But you see, I couldn’t help myself.
I had to feel the past, for which
You exchanged me. The dream
Which was more real to you than
Anything I had to offer.

Do I understand it all now?
Do I understand the colourful
Vacuum you were? Do I forgive
You for desperately trying
To mimic the irreplaceable?
Perhaps.

6 comments:

Spica said...

Dude.

Aquila said...

Lol. I thought as much. :)

Dahlia said...

Love it!

Aquila said...

Aha! I thought it was too lugubrious to be liked. :)

Sheeba said...

Something so attractive about melancholy. :)

Aquila said...

True! Which also explains why a good majority of poems (in general) are SO melancholic. I wonder why being sad makes us feel better! (If that makes any sense. :) )