Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Expression

I'm reading 'Vanishing Acts' by Jodi Picoult right now. I wouldn't call her a very good author, definitely not in my list of 'right up theres': but there is something about her writing style. She is not a very smooth author, she really can't hold me (and I can get held by books very, very easily), but she is a remarkably sensitive one. She manages to convey very well how the same event can be viewed and experienced differently by different people. She can talk the language of the heart with ease, and puts a lot of effort to delve into the depth of each character. On several ocassions I've found myself reading the same line more than once, trying to catch its flavour and I've found myself ultimately identifying with it. And that's where the magic of the book lies. It's not meant for 'easy reading', it's meant for experiencing. Because it is very hard to describe emotions and describe them 'accurately'.

No comments: