Friday, March 13, 2009

punha

I've always secretly preferred Marathi poems to English ones. Somehow, each line seems to convey more emotion, more intensity, and the poetry sounds more ... sonorous. Here's my very first poem in Marathi. For those of you who don't understand the language, you're not missing much. My Marathi is not all that great. :)

पुन्हा

पुन्हा पाऊस पडला रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पुन्हा माती ओली झाली रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पुन्हा गार वारा सुटला रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पुन्हा मी चिंब भिजले रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पुन्हा गाल
ओले झाले रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पुन्हा हात माझे गारठले रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

पण पुन्हा मन हलके झाले रे,
खूप दिवसांनंतर.

3 comments:

AnoNick said...

पुन्हा बर वाटला ग
मराठी वाचल्यावर
खूप दिवसांनंतर

Well, I rarely read Marathi at all! But I like Marathi poems more than English ones... I can somehow understand them more.

Do you listen to old Marathi 'bhavgeet's? They have beautiful poetry. I can recommend some if you want. :)

AnoNick said...

Ah shit. Was this poem about holi? I wondered the first time why you had a poem on rain at this time if the year!

I don't get subtle, sigh.

Aquila said...

Nahi, nahi. It rained the other day. Quite unexpectedly. It was about that wonly.