Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Treasure Lost and Found

She's got a magical voice. It can go deep, soar high, and is amazingly flexible in between. The music accompanying her voice is almost redundant. It's in the background: the strumming of a guitar just keeping the beat. What you hear, what you remember is her voice, and what she sings about. Her lyrics are some of the most meaningful I've ever heard. They're one step away from poetry. I found two cds in my father's collection when we were unpacking all the stuff which had been lying silently in brown cardboard boxes for years. Two original cds.Two dozen songs I hadn't heard. A few covers. Eleanor Rigby and Let it Be. She sounds better than the Beatles. :) Soulful. That's the adjective I was looking for. Both her voice and her music are soulful.

I've already put up the lyrics of 'Diamonds and Rust'. Here's 'Dangling Conversation'.

It's a still life water color,
Of a now late afternoon,
As the sun shines through the curtained lace
And shadows wash the room.
And we sit and drink our coffee
Couched in our indifference,
Like shells upon the shore
You can hear the ocean roar
In the dangling conversation
And the superficial sighs,
The borders of our alliance.
And you read your Emily Dickinson,
And I my Robert Frost,
And we note our place with bookmarkers
That measure what we've lost.
Like a poem poorly written
We are verses out of rhythm,
Couplets out of rhyme,
In syncopated time
And the dangled conversation
And the superficial sighs,
Are the borders of our alliance.
Yes, we speak of things that matter,
With words that must be said,
Can analysis be worthwhile?
Is the theater really dead?
And how the room is softly faded
And I only kiss your shadow,
I cannot feel your hand,
You're a stranger now unto me
Lost in the dangling conversation.
And the superficial sighs,
In the borders of our alliance.

4 comments:

Achal said...

hmm, thanks for reintroducing her to me!

Aquila said...

You all right? Your comment is not sarcastic. You're not making cracks about my writing. And you like Joan Baez? I'm speechless. Quite.

Aquila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Achal said...

ah well, perhaps France has made me more polite, and anyways, this time it was joan baez's poetry and not yours :p