Saturday, November 1, 2008
Reading
I've been reading 'The Hungry Tide' over the last few days. Guiltily of course. I have no business to be reading anything but physics for the next two months. But unfortunately, or fortunately for me, I always do land up having these clandestine affairs with books. And the words never cease to seduce me. Their beauty and power perhaps cannot be described. And I continue to steal those furtive snatches of perusing page after page. Bliss or torture?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The same thing often happens to me, except in my case, it's not words, but events, stories and characters that seduce me. I mostly read non-fiction, so there's a payoff that I come out knowing more useless facts about the world and less useless facts about human nature than you. :)
But it is bliss. Even if I have to stay up till 3 in the night to make up for study time lost, I don't want to give up on my reading. Hmm, this *may* be a bad influence on you. Hehe.
The perfect analogy is wandering off and exploring the forest when walking from village to village. SYes, they are waiting for you. But surely these flowers, bright and pretty, do not exist for usefulness?
Amitav Ghosh had come here recently to read from his recent book "The Sea of Poppies".
Inspite of having received several recommendations, I have not read Ghosh yet. I should start soon.
Post a Comment