Sunday, November 30, 2008

What women do.

So for some reason, I got reading about women artists. I don't know too much about art, which in the current definition includes painting, sculpting and the like. And I learnt some surprising things. There were some good, really good women artists as far back as the 17th and 18th centuries. Women artists who were trained by senior artists, received important commissions from powerful patrons, women whose art was critically acclaimed, and who've become the subject of Ph.D. theses. Here are a few of them. I really encourage you to at least breeze through these Wiki articles, and especially have a look at a few images of the artwork of these creative geniuses. Also, any contributions to the following list will be welcome. :)
1. Louisa Roldan: Spanish sculptor (17th century) This lady became the court sculptor. I would have thought it unimaginable in those times. Here is an image of one of her pieces.
2. Artemisia Gentileschi. Powerful work.
3. Camille Claudel: A bit more recent. An art critic once said of her: She was.. "A revolt against nature: a woman genius." I liked this piece.

And then, of course, how could I not be reminded of Maria Agnesi and Emmy Noether? :)

1 comment:

AnoNick said...

That powerful work is REALLY powerful.

Some women did pursue their dreams even in those days. And I'm sure a lot more are doing it now. But these are role models, not just for women, but also for all minorities and people who has lesser opportunities than others.