It takes so little to be happy: things you find interesting, things you enjoy, friends, people who love you for who you are, sunshine and rain and late mornings and long walks and coffee. Or is it that we can enjoy these things only when we are happy already? That makes sense: when we're down, in addition to the reason weighing us down, there is also the rest of the beauty of our lives. But we can't see it then, although it's right there, in front of us. The relationship between the things which appear to make us happy and happiness doesn't seem to be a simple cause and effect one then. They're connected, but how? Happiness is a platform which enables us to enjoy these things. But these things make us happy in the first place. Maybe there are two kinds of happiness. 'Intrinsic' happiness, which comes and goes and which you cannot control. And external happiness, which is a result of things which you know make you happy.
Anyhow, I take this opportunity to conduct a random poll.
What do you guys do when you're unhappy? The first thing you do?
...I walk: a nice, long random walk which will tire me to the bones. Preferably alone and at night.
And the second question: what do you do when you find yourself happy?
...I call you. Spread the cheer. Life's beautiful. It's an important message. :)
Post anonymously if you wish, but do answer the questions. :)
PS. 'It takes so little to be happy...' Yet, if I think of how far I've had to walk before I can make this casual statement, then it takes so much to be happy. Maybe we don't really appreciate how much the 'little' is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
One of the things that does affect one's state of happiness is health. If you're not keeping well, usually, it requires superhuman effort to try and stay happy. Almost impossible.
When I'm unhappy, I make myself real strong coffee and watch a sitcom.
When I'm happy, I just keep doing whatever it is that made me happy :)
@ Sudeep: trivial point? But you know, there are these very, very people who do manage to do that. Be unwell or impaired in some way, and yet be happy. It's incredible. And really, answer the questions asked, will ya? :)
@ ess: Thanks for being the only reader to comment pertinently. Sniff.
@ Invisible others: I know you're out there. Comment or face the consequences! :P
and some people comment, only to have their comment censored!
@Achal: Hey, I thought you were the one who'd labeled this as communism? Now suffer the consequences and bow to Stalin. :P
When I'm unhappy, the first thing I'd try is to involve myself in something engrossing. If that doesn't help, I brood over it and when I get tired, I sleep it over and wake up to realize how stupid I had been.
When I'm happy, I think that's when I really want to talk to and spend time with friends!
You, you just have to have things your way, don't you! :P
come the revolution!
Read one article related to the post today and quoting one line from that- "the more you pursue happiness, the more it eludes you. The trick is to look within for that elusive goal, rather than chase it around the world."
and wat do i do wen-
unhappy: get myself occupied in something/ spend less time wid myself.. sometimes, i start imagining stories abt myself..
happy: i just do anything that i feel like that time.. Movies/ taking someone's trip/ talking to ppl etc etc.. :)
Post a Comment