1.What if? And what if? Such inherently useless questions. And yet they never cease to trouble us so.
2. The other day, I was sent a mail about the 'bastardization' of quantum mechanics. About how people apply these very beautiful physical laws to situations in which they don't hold. And while that is true, I cannot help but notice how I often pick up things out of (con)text and apply them to my life. It's funny how things suddenly make sense this way too. For example, today my yoga instructor was talking about pranayam (meditative breathing) techniques. He was talking about the dissociation of mind from body. And he said something so profound, it's still stuck with me: "Letting go is not cutting off." If I decide to extend this to other spheres of my life, will this be called a bastardization of yoga technique too? :)
3. Who am I? Am I happy with the choices I've made? Those that I'm making at this very moment? How much of it is a conscious application of logic and how much of it is conditioning or habit?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
What if, everything you believed was a lie. What if I gave you the answers to all the profound questions you ask. What if you found out, they actually have an answer? would you really wanna know? or would you rather not know them (the answers) and ask them (the questions) happily ever after? drumroll, with appropriate grand music (terminator kind)....coming soon to a theatre near you.
hmm...sorry...got a bit carried away there :)
As far as #2 goes, I don't think it's a bastardization of yoga, since yoga is a way of life. However it is a bastardization of QM if you use QM terms in advertising hyperbole. (Quantum nutrition, anyone?)
#3, well, usually any choices anybody makes outside an MCQ exam is more out of conditioning than by logic. That's just the way it is :)
First part of #2 refers to me, doesn't it? :-(
It was just a joke!!!
*another sad smiley with my sad puppy dog look attached*
@Achal: I actually have considered the possibility of everything I believe in not being true. But I'm saved from an apocalypse because I can't state with certainty what my beliefs are. :D And if you're giving me the answers, then they're definitely incorrect.
@Ess: I think I should make the original context a bit clearer. People pick up stuff from quantum, like the uncertainty principle, and apply it, in all seriousness, to classical situations in which it obviously is not applicable. I, on the other hand, was talking about the times when you lift up something completely out of context (knowingly), and it still makes sense.. and perhaps leads to one of them epiphanies. :)
@Chitra: Nah, this time, it wasn't you. :)
http://www.xkcd.com/17/
http://www.xkcd.com/16/
click in that order.
Now THIS is a very good post. And something for me to comment upon.
Not commenting upong 1. Achal hath given nice link. About 3, I don't have the answers either. Just thinking about them is fruitful for self-realisation, though.
Going against ess, I might say, the bastardisations in the two cases are exactly the same. I'm sorry for being excruciatingly logical here. Hehe, but heck, I love such discussions.
Suppose I say, when I try to measure a particle's momentum and it's position, I find that I cannot! That means that the world is unknowable, and maybe that explains levitation. Something to that effect. Makes sense? no.
If I say, the planet Mars is red, red marks hot, so MArs is hot. When you were born, Mars was above you in the sky. Hence, you have a hot temper. Makes sense? no.
I say, I'm going to teach you an exercise. But when you let go, you should not cut off. And hence, since this works during this particular exercise, in real life too, you should follow what I'm saying. Makes sense? You're saying the answer is yes?
Maybe you're saying, Yoga is a way of life first and an exercise later. Thus, since you should not cut off when letting go in real life, you should do the same while breathing. And you'll snicker, I've blown this guy to pieces. Ehm let me think.
*insert 5 minutes*
Ok, it's acknowledged, "be happy with what you have". I have nothing to eat in the fridge. Should I die of hunger or go out and buy something? In other words, that when you let go of people, you should not cut off communicating with them, implies nothing for breathing techniques. Sigh, did I really have to say that?
What I think is, if you're extending something, think about whether it can be extended. It isn't a bastardisation if it's an inspiration proved useful, or valid, in the new case.
@Anonick: What a masterpiece! (applause) :P
Post a Comment