Monday, November 12, 2007

Quite A Muddle!

I've observed that I'm incredibly naive. I start off with the preconceived notion that people are nice, reliable, intelligent, reasonable, and very often, even fun to be with; a blessing to humanity in general. And then, as I dig a bit deeper I'm backstabbed by my own misconceptions. And I even have the audacity to be surprised by their attack. Pretty stupid, I would say.

So sometimes I think that it's better if I accept the axiom that most people are petty, mean, deceitful or incredibly naive and I'd rather not know them. Then, if anyone proves to be an exception, I'll double my winnings because my reference level is set lower. :) Pretty smart, I would say. But, as I read the above lines, I sound like a self-deceiving cynic - I fall in the category I just described! :O And that doesn't make me feel too good about myself.

So sometimes I think that I shouldn't think at all. That I shouldn't expect anything from anybody. Be remote, aloof and watch the show. Shocks cease to shock and joy only deserves a calm smile. My platform is safely above the highs and lows of daily strife, and I get peace of mind without lifting a finger. Hmmm.. Pretty boring, I would say.

So at the end of thinking through all the alternatives, I find myself in quite a muddle. And so I drift, in whichever way the wind is blowing. :) Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Sudeep said...

I too get lost in clouds of thought at times. And come up with strange observations or rules for living life : The closest that man can get to rationality is to have a blank mind. Bla Bla. But in the end, you come out of it. Watching the show is seriously a beautiful thought. :) Don't know how well I can do it, however much I want to.

Aquila said...

I'm out of it already. :) But I've noticed that I'm more logical and passionate about my convictions when I'm in one of these 'clouds'. I never really manage to follow up on most of my conclusions however. But I guess, they do make differential contributions to my belief system, such as it is. :) And is the 'show' thought beautiful or cowardly or plain impossible to execute? I really can't seem to decide!

TryingToMakeSense said...

How about starting with the assumption that people are not one or the other but both. You know it sounds so easy but it is so difficult to keep the good and the bad together, don't know why.

Aquila said...

oh aunty, this was meant to be a light piece.:)I was deliberately exaggerating. Though I am a tad too simplistic in classifying people sometimes. :)

Meha Vijay Desai said...

Ummm...
The world's sweet and nice and understanding and reasonable and reliable and inteliigent and everything nice, for most part of it...
But then, everyone loves being a bitch sometime or the other, no?
:D

Aquila said...

@ Meha: And some people love being a bitch all the time, ya? :P