I started walking with my usual enthusiasm. Loud music and quick steps aimed at shaking off my morning lethargy. But there was something special about that morning. And that something made me take off my earphones and start listening. Listening to the fresh air, listening to the soft beat of my feet on the damp ground, listening to the wind whispering to the trees, listening to the bird conversations which I had so easily ignored earlier. And when you start listening so intently, you can hear someone else too. And that someone tells you to slow down and to really pay attention to what’s happening around you. And that someone points out how good it feels to be so completely alone, with an insulating layer of trees drowning out the sounds of the busy world outside. And that someone points out that tree which you didn’t notice till today. And the cat sitting on a horizontal branch, completely riveted by a flock of plucky sunbirds flitting about. The tail of the cat curling in anticipation, conveying its tremulous anticipation, its alertness as it prepares to pounce on that little fella just a foot away. And the object of so much attention, a little acrobat, sharp and bright, hanging upside down, flitting about confidently, so sure of his ability to escape danger that he can ignore it. And when that little scene was pointed out to me, I somehow felt myself completely absorbed by it. I could imagine myself in the mind of the cat, of the bird, and life just seemed so simple. Both of them knew what they wanted, and they knew how to get it, and then they went about getting it – no doubts, no scope for partial participation, they were so fully involved in their lives. The realization was amazing.
As I walked on, my feet moved more and more slowly. It didn’t matter that I wasn’t working towards the purpose that I’d gone there to achieve. Even the few other walkers, intent on their purpose, seemed be walking away from something then walking towards it. I wondered how I’d managed to avoid having noticed this feeling, been touched by it so far. We walk through life so fast, so intent on achieving whatever it is that we think we want, that we forget to notice so much. And although the things on the side aren’t that tangible, or useful, or dramatic, they sometimes reach out to you like few things can. As my feet finally neared the exit, I was overwhelmed by this wish to linger, to dissolve myself in this complete, little world, to let the sunshine warm me a bit more, pick me up, carry me over to the bright, shining leaves of the tallest tree, to let the wind blow through me, to be a sunbird dancing about the cat. But I get over the temporary insanity, help my feet find a destination again, plug the earphones back in to drown out the sounds of the real world waiting outside.
Jeez, I need to see a psychiatrist. :)
9 comments:
I agree with the last statement!! ;)
I didn't quite get how you concluded that you need a psychiatrist. :)
I don't think its insanity at all...but then that is expected.
And its not a feeling which needs to threaten or undermine purposefulness. Its important to slow down from time to time in a fast world, to get in touch with a sense of beauty and wonder..because isn't that one of the things which can inspire purpose in the first place?
Just one thing, how do we know things aren't complex for the cat and the birds? :). thats just human arrogance..:)
Chittaranjan Vatika...
Maybe I could do with taking some time out to pen my thoughts as well....
:-)
U stopped jogging?! :))
Chittaranjan Vatika, is it?
Amazing place ... and very well written! Fond childhood memories of the place :)
@ everyone: Thank you, kind people, for reading my humble blog, commenting on my psychological state and writing about your impressions. It's always nice to know when people identify with what you are trying to say. :) And/or when people think that you're nutty. :P
Post a Comment